Contemporary Verse 2 accepts only online submissions for consideration.
We no longer accept mail or email submissions. Please use the link at the bottom of this page to submit.
Send any questions or concerns regarding the online submission process to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any submissions that do not follow correct guidelines or do not include full contact information will not be considered for publication and will not receive a reply. Please read the submission guidelines before sending us your work. Submit your work using the link below.
Editorial Aim and Policy
Contemporary Verse 2 is a quarterly literary journal that publishes poetry and critical writing about poetry, including interviews, articles, essays, and reviews. It is our policy to publish new writing by both emerging and established poets. The writing we encourage reflects a diversity representing a range of social and cultural experience along with literary excellence.
Suitability for Publication
CV2 purchases first North American serial print rights and limited, non-exclusive digital rights only. Authors retain full copyright for works published in CV2.
We suggest that writers research literary journals carefully before submitting their work to determine that the journal’s aesthetics match that of their writing. Because of the number of submissions we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback to everyone who requests it. If you are a new writer, we recommend seeking consultation from an experienced writer. For manuscript consultation services and programs, contact your local or provincial writing organization for assistance.
French Language Submissions
CV2 welcomes poetry submissions in French, as well as translation projects, including both French to English and English to French.
Length of Submissions
- Poetry submissions: no more than 6 pages.
- Interviews: no more than 6-8 pages in length, double-spaced.
- Articles: no more than 3-4 pages, double-spaced.
- Essays: no more than 2-4 pages, double-spaced.
- Reviews should be 600-1000 words, double-spaced. (Between ½ and 2 pages long.)
Note: For submissions of critical writing, including articles, essays, interviews, and reviews, please include a word count in your cover letter. Authors of critical writing should be prepared for editorial suggestions regarding length, tone, and format.
Please upload your submission as a single attachment of a Microsoft Word, TXT or RTF (rich text format) document.
Each submission should include:
- A short cover letter with your name, the titles of the poems/writing you have enclosed, and a sense of your publication experience, if any. Please include a word count for essays, interviews or reviews.
- Your name at the top of every page of your submission.
- A short (maximum 70 words) biographical statement for editorial purposes, written in the third person. Please use the form of your name that you would like to see in print.
- Please let us know if your submission is simultaneous, and notify us immediately by emailing email@example.com if it is accepted elsewhere. We must be notified via email, and not via Submittable’s notes feature.
Our review time is between 2 to 6 months. We ask that you please be patient with our editorial process, which is designed to ensure that all submissions are considered with the same care.
Because of publication deadlines, our questions concerning editing often require a quick turnaround, meaning publication of your work could be jeopardized or delayed if you do not provide accurate contact information.
Contemporary Verse 2 accepts submissions from Sept. 1 through May 31.
Writers whose work is selected for publication receive 2 complimentary copies of the issue in which their work appears. This is in addition to payment.
- Poetry: $30 per poem
- Interviews: $50-$100, depending upon length
- Articles: $50-$100, depending upon length
- Essays: $40-$150, depending upon length
- Reviews: $50-$80, depending upon length
Note for International Writers
Unsolicited overseas contributors (from outside of Canada and the USA) whose fee is $40.00 or less (one poem or review) will receive only their two contributor copies as payment. We are no longer able to offer a fee to these writers because the cost of postage to mail two copies of the journal is higher than the amount that the contributor would receive in payment for a single poem or review. There can also be difficulties in the exchange of smaller amounts of Canadian Funds abroad. The only exceptions to this new policy are Canadians living abroad who give a Canadian address for mailings. These contributors will be compensated according to guidelines for regular Canadian contributors, receiving payment and two contributor copies.
Upcoming Themed Issues
If you wish to submit for a specific themed issue, please indicate this in your cover letter.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Did you know that CV2 has a newsletter? Just indicate that you’d like to receive it in your cover letter, and we’ll start sending information about submission calls, contests, and more straight to your inbox.
Note that CV2’s reading period runs from Sept 1 through May 31. CV2 does not accept submissions from June 1 through August 31.